"Exploring all manners of backwoods blues, tints and tones and delicate hues... Expressive Bass with a signature sound."
Deeply rooted in Blues, Americana/Roots Rock, Alternative Country, Country Rock, Fusion & World Music. Anthony has played bass for several bands in Los Angeles & Orange County areas, and has also written many songs including one which was published in the National Library of Poetry. Anthony's bass playing philosophy is to blend & infuse each music genre, past and present to find that unique bass groove that complements the songwriter's vision and creates lasting Mojo.
Since 2010 Anthony has held down the bass chair for the prominent Americana Roots band, The Skylarks. The Skylarks band has the ability to cross musical boundries effortlessly… An eclectic blend of genres whereby international music critics have compared The Skylarks to; Early Eagles, Ricky Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band, Wilco, REM, Gram Parsons, Gin Blossoms, The Jayhawks, Son Volt, and Poco. A fiercly Americana Roots mix with a unique make up of talented musicians. The songwriting is well constructed, insightful and poetic, with exceptional harmonies.
The Skylarks have been played major music festivals and venues, and has garnered national and international radio airplay as well as placements in TV shows and commercials. The 2015 release of The Skylark's self-titled album has garnered positive acclaim by music critics worldwide; No Depression Magazine, The Alternate Root Magazine, Essentially Pop Magazine, Buzz Bands LA, Pop Culture, Magazine, Twangville Magazine, CD Baby, and Gram Parsons International.
For full music reviews, sample tracks, and/or additional information, please refer to The Skylarks website and Facebook page.
From 2001 - 2015 Anthony held down the electric and acoustic bass duties and back-up vocals for The Black Tongued Bells. The Bells tap everything from Roots Rock & Roll, Blues, Stax, Motown, Americana, Cajun & Gospel. In 2013 The Bells released the critically acclaimed "Every Tongue Has A Tale To Tell". The album listed as one of the top 50 CDs played in the world, as reported by The Roots Music Report, and ranked in the top 50 for ReverbNation. Also noted, the tune, JUKIN' JOINT, from "Every Tongue Has A tale To Tell" was listed in the Hit-Tracks Top 100. Refer to The Black Tongued Bells website for more information, international reviews, bio, international radio interviews, and a listing of over 200 radio stations including Sirius XM Radio, that are spinning The Bells on regular rotation.
The Black Tongued Bells have played in a variety of venues in Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County, and Northern California areas. In addition to being endorsed by The Los Angeles County Arts Commission, they have shared the same stage with well acclaimed national and international artists including; Walter Trout and Mike Campbell, Guitarist and Songwriter for Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, David Lindley (Jackson Browne), Henry Rollins, Rick Shea, Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys.
Follow us on Facebook: Anthony Cook | The Skylarks | The Black Tongued Bells
Anthony is also very honored to have played and/or recorded with the following musicians:
* Phil Jones - Drummer/Percussionist : The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Bob Dylan, Randy Newman, Joe Walsh, Neil Young, Roy Orbison, JD Souther
* Danny Ott - Guitar: Gregg Allman, Walter Trout, Dave Alvin
* Dale Daniel - Drums: Hacienda Brothers, David Serby, Randy Weeks
* Wyman Reese - Keyboards: Walter Trout, Buddy Miller, Dave Alvin, Rick Shea
* Rick Shea - Singer / Songwriter, Dave Alvin
* Bill Barrett - Harmonica: Natalie Merchant, Nels Cline from Wilco
* John McKnight and "King" Roger Ehrnman - Trombone & Saxophone: Fishbone
* John Harrelson - Keyboards/ Guitar : Music Professor & Subject for music documentary; Dead Man Rockin'
"To truly appreciate happiness is to have experienced turmoil...
This is the breeding ground for poetry, art, and music." ~ Anthony Cook
- All of which we are a part of. No one escapes this life without a few.
- That which comes from the inner self... Broken, cured, or stored...
The heart is a lonely hunter. Our soul is in concert with our heart.
- We are all exposed... Our past often paves the way to our future. In the end, we all look the same; beyond our flesh, we rattle, we shake, we are all sacred.
Member of The Americana Music Association - The A.M.A. Promotes industry viability as well as public awareness of Americana music. AmericanaMusic.org
The Blues Foundation - World renown organization dedicated to preserving our blues history, celebrating recording and performance excellence, supporting blues education, and ensuring the future of this unique art form. Blues.org
* In conjunction with the world of music, Anthony has also been an educator. Added to his list of Teaching and Administrative Credentials and Degrees, he has been honored with Administrative Leadership Awards, Teacher of the Year Award, Golden Bell Award (California School Boards Association), for exemplary school programs, Nationally recognized Top 10 School, and California Model Alternative High School.